from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A sounding-machine.
- noun That which sounds; specifically, in telegraphy, a receiving instrument in the use of which the message is read by the sound produced by the armature of the electromagnet in playing back and forth between its stops.
- noun A herd of wild swine.
- noun A young wild boar: an erroneous use.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun One who, or that which; sounds; specifically, an instrument used in telegraphy in place of a register, the communications being read by sound.
- noun (Zoöl.) A herd of wild hogs.
from , Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
comparativeform of sound: more sound
- noun Something, or someone who makes a
- noun nautical A device for making
- noun The
collective nounfor a group of wild boar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a device for making soundings
R, of course, hears his own sounder, which is making the dots and dashes also.
We always found that the deeper the sets were placed in the ground the sounder were the roots: We tried every experiment with them; and as our gardener was both skilful and industrious, we were usually muc𓆏h more fortunate with our produce than our neighbors.
-- The sounder is the 🐬instrument which carries tꦇhe electro-magnet.
For receiving signals I locate in said circuit between the condensing surface and the ground a diaphragm sounder, which is preferably 🔯one of my electromotograph telephone receivers.
For receiving signals I locate in said circuit between the condensing surface and the ground a diaphragm sounder, which is preferably one of my elec♛tromotograph t🌠elephone receivers.
Shooting an Indian from an and-bush is acting up to his own principles, and now we have what you call a lawful war on our hands, the sooner you wipe that disgrace off your conscience, the sounder will be your sleep; if it only come from knowing there is one i🐈nimy the less prowling in the woods.
One pack (called a "sounder") of boars took 🌸to hanging out at a playground in Berlin's posh Dahlem district🎃.
a lawful war on our hands, the sooner you wipe that disgrace off your character, the sounder will be your sleep; if it onl♚y come from knowing there is one inimy the les🍌s prowling in the woods.
The receiving instrument is not the noisy "sounder" of the land lines.
And then, save for the clatter of the "sounder," there was silence.